Friday, November 4, 2011

God speaks in weird ways sometimes

I found myself humming along with the background music while shopping last week at the supermarket.  It was typical "elevator" style music.  When I realized I was humming along, I stopped to think what song it was since they usually play a guy singing Arabic music that slowly drives you insane or Top 40  music from the 1990's.  Hey, I'm in the middle east. 

I couldn't think of the song title, but as I put words to the music I was hearing I realized what it was.  A Christian hymn.  Seriously.  "Here in the Power of Christ I Stand".  Maybe that's not the official hymn title, but that's the main chorus line I think of.  How crazy!  I smiled to myself knowing they probably had no clue that this lyric-less music they were playing was a Christian hymn.  It was probably a part of a "Best of Store Background Music" CD the store chain purchased.  Still, how a Christian hymn made this CD, I will always be curious.  I figured it was a fluke in a way.  What are the odds?  I guess pretty good because there it was, playing again a few days later when I had to stop by for a couple of things. 

Funny as it is, what a small blessing at the same time.  Besides at church, where else do I hear God speak to me in a Muslim country?  Not that He isn't here, by any means, but it's not like there are Christian Book Stores or Christian literature/CDs/etc... available.  It gave me comfort feeling like God was reaching out to me in a small way and giving me have a piece of church from back home. 

The hymn was also a great song to be reminded by any day.  It is in His power and love that I can stand each day, and battle whatever comes my way, whether it be a life circumstance or my two foot bundle of energy and sass that drives me batty by the end of the day sometimes.  Today was one of those days for sure.  I said damn in front of her today.  Granted she had just knocked pizza out of my hand and caused sauce to splatter on our new carpet and granted it could've been a worse word.  Sigh.  Here in the patience of Christ I stand.

Okay, I looked it up and it's actually called "In Christ Alone".  Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExnTlIM5QgE




1 comment: