Thursday, April 19, 2012

You are so full of...

Crap! 

Yup, that's what they bad boys are full of!



Okay, so as far as I know, there are no sewer systems in place here in Oman like that in America.  All our sewage and well, crap, goes into big tanks under our homes and when they are full, these trucks come around and suck it up!

It's gross, I know.  Not the kind of blog post you expected from me by any means, but, here it is.  It's a reality of life here in Oman and my job (I'd like to think so) is to continue to educate friends and family back home on how "life" runs here.  (Runs... no pun intended)

Okay, so here in Oman, every building and residence has metal squares around it in the pavers and cement (like manholes in the states).   Underneath these square "lids", as far as I can ascertain, are LARGE pits/tanks that hold all the waste water that come out of the home/building.  Once it's full, the trucks come around and literally suck it out with a big tube.  The tube looks like a vacuum tube only a whole lot bigger.  You can sorta see that in the first picture.  Two guys work the truck.  One drives and positions, the other gets out and opens the manhole, sticks the tube into the muck, and gives the signal to start sucking. 

When a poopy truck is around ( yes, that is what we lovingly call them here), you don't want to be nearby or downwind.  It smells like an outhouse.  Period.  Being a large school, TAISM gets their tanks sucked out a couple times a week, and to my luck, it often is being done around noon when I walk to work.  And in addition to my luck, the wind always seems to be blowing towards me.  It's not a pleasant walk once I get close to the school.  I plug my nose and trudge on.

The kids all know what these trucks are quickly.  The trucks come around frequently enough and they are curious.  "Poopy trucks" is what they learn.  Yellow trucks are poopy trucks.  Blue trucks that look identical are water trucks.  Blue = pure.  Yellow = tainted.

Where all our crap goes after being sucked up, I'm not exactly sure.  Well, I know they go to a sewage treatment plant, but where those are, I don't know.  And with how big this city is and with how many poopy trucks are on the road, I imagine there has to be numerous sewage treatment plants, or a really big one. 

Bleah, I prefer the US method.  However, I recognize that with all the hard ground here full of compacted rocks, a huge sewer system is not an easy thing to install. 

So I will continue to hold my breath and look the other way when the yellow trucks do their duty.  (Okay, that pun was intended!)


No comments:

Post a Comment