Wednesday, January 22, 2014

School Bus tragedy (don't worry, not our school)

This morning there was a bus from the Pakistani school here in Muscat that crashed on the way to school, killing 4 of the students on board and critically injuring 4 others.  The report says that the bus collided with a truck parked on the side of the road.

The comments to the online news articles from local newspapers have been an interesting mix of responses.  There are the wonderful comments from people expressing their condolences, prayers, and peace for the victims and their families.  There are comments about where to donate blood and people saying they will be there immediately.  But there have also been a mix of comments from expats blaming the local Omani drivers (driving too fast, passing dangerously, being on cell phones, etc...) and how there need to be stricter rules for bus drivers, to even one being thankful it was Pakistani kids (and not another race, I assume.  His comment was a bit hard to understand).  Racism still abounds in tragedies here, just like any other country.  If you want to see the articles, you an find them here.

http://timesofoman.com/News/Article-28582.aspx

http://www.timesofoman.com/News/Article-28600.aspx

The whole thing gives me a mix of responses.  I am grateful to see the outpouring of support and care that you would expect in a terrible situation like this.  However, I have to admit that the news didn't surprise me because I know the drivers here. 

I know how dangerous some of the local and other expat (from the surrounding area) drivers can be.  I almost was sideswiped last night (girls with me) by a driver trying to pass me on the right in an exit lane so that he could get around the slow trucks in front of us.  I see many local drivers on their cell phones even though it's against the law.  Tailgating here is common place. I see how fast the buses and cars take corners or make last minute passes or lane changes.  I have been on a bus driving us to another school for a volleyball game and being nervous the whole time (side note, we did complain to the school and he is no longer allowed to drive for us).  I have talked to other moms here, or seen posts on the Moms FB group here, and they will say they have followed buses to school and seen the fast and unsafe driving happening (our school has strict policies drivers are supposed to follow but not all of them do). 

On a daily basis when I drive, I feel like drivers here are trying to set up situations for accidents.  I want to yell out the window at them.  "Really, are you trying to get into a wreck with someone!?"  The lack of understanding of the danger of how they drive here astounds me at times.  One has to be a very aware and defensive driver here.

Ultimately, the whole situation is sad and unfortunate.  Any time an accident happens and people die, especially innocent children, it breaks your heart.  But it's even sadder here to me because the rate of injuries and deaths here in Oman are very high per capita and so many of them could be prevented.  They don't have to happen.   And as a parent, it makes me more nervous to drive.  While I credit myself as being a very aware and defensive driver, I have to be even more so here.  You have to be constantly watching and aware of everyone around you.

I'm not sure exactly how to close this post.  I don't want it to be a rant against local drivers here, but I want to share the sadness and reality of what it's like here.  I am happy to see the positive response and desire to help by many locals and expats here.  So I guess it's that.  A weird mix of sadness and happiness.  And a reminder to myself to continue to be vigilant as a safe and aware driver for my children.  And to pray that even on the short ride she has, that Aberly is always in the hands on a safe and aware bus driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment