Friday, January 27, 2012

Ironed

If I had a list of the top reasons I loved having a nanny, ironed pants would be on that list.  When I pulled out a pair of my linen pants that looked like they did the first time I found them in Banana Republic last summer, I was shocked and in joy.

Yes, we have a nanny.  Once I became gainfully employed part time, that meant we needed to get someone to watch Aberly and with that, it also meant that our house would be cleaned and our lives put into order.  I didn't quite realize the joy of having help until I had help.  And mind you, this isn't like having help in the states.  This is a profession for these women (and some men) and this is how many of them support themselves and their families back at home.  What is unfortunate is how "cheap" their FABULOUS help is in comparison to what you would pay in the states.  I did a quick estimation, and with what we pay our part time nanny per month salary for 100 hours a month (estimated since each month fluctuates), she earns in US dollars, $2.10 per hour.  And this is for a woman who takes care of our child, cleans our house, and does my laundry.  And again, this is for high quality work.  But, that is the general going rate here and for a Filipino or Indian woman, this is good pay. 

Anyways, so Priscilla comes each week day at noon and takes over the care of my home.  She loves Aberly and is so great with her.  She keeps my house in tip top shape.  I have never seen so clearly through our windows.  Our floors rarely have more than a few crumbs and fallen hairs on them.  Dishes no longer crowd my sink.  My counters and stove top are shiny clean.  Our laundry is done, hanging to dry, folded, and yes, ironed.  On that note, I should explain that Filipinos always iron everything, even their own clothing.  It's just part of laundry.  You are not presentable in wrinkled clothing.  Priscilla actually told me (nicely) that she hated seeing me go out in wrinkled things.  I have since learned that how my clothes look are a representation of her work so being in wrinkled clothes reflects poorly on her.  Iron away Priscilla, iron away.  I am not going to argue having my clothes look good!

Priscilla also helps with any odd jobs I ask, and sees things that need to get done and just does them.  Can you help me cut up these peas for dinner later?  Yes, and she wants to know if I would also like them steamed.  Can you clean the microwave?  Yes, and that is the day my windows also become crystal clear.  I explain to her how we haven't found the correct drain plug size for our one shower.  She shows up the next day with it in hand.  I tell here (this is the first day she is here) that laundry is the one thing we don't expect her help with.  I come home to laundry done and folded (and she finds time to do it since then).   Each day, Aberly's hair is some cute hair-do that I could not master myself.  Etc.., etc.., etc...  Seriously, I'm not sure how that woman gets all the stuff done she does each day.  Even with Aberly's nap being around 2 hours.  She must not sit down.

I admit that I was somewhat hesitant to get a nanny.  Even though we had to, it just felt WEIRD.  And I realize it is somewhat weird coming from America, but I will tell you, if you ever have the opportunity, it is well worth it.  It's amazing.  The increased family time you have from reduced chores is fantastic.  Getting to actually relax during Aberly's nap on the weekends with Colin instead of doing chores I couldn't do during the week is a gift. 

And having ironed clothes... ahhhhhh
 


No comments:

Post a Comment