Saturday, March 3, 2012

A few things

Since I have a quiet moment while Aberly plays, here are a few updates:

1.  Another reason I hate shopping in Oman:  The checkers and courtesy clerks are TERRIBLE baggers.  If you think the clerks at a Safeway are bad, imagine it like, 10 times worse here.  What I can pack in 5 bags would literally be in 10 bags by a clerk here, because they will put between one and five items in each bag.  And they just put whatever in each bag, so your tomatoes may end up on the bottom of a bag with cans.  I have started always packing my own bags and just telling them no thank you with a smile when they try to do it or help.  Next time you have a bag bagger, just take heart that it could be worse, MUCH worse.

2.  Drivers here are just aggressive, but luckily there isn't much road rage.  But they are aggressive and can be dangerous.  I was passed this weekend by a Porsche on the left shoulder.  This guy didn't make it by with much space between my XTrail and the center guard rail.  It's a good thing I didn't jerk the wheel out of surprise because it would've been a wreck.  And Aberly was asleep in the back.  My heart was beating just a bit.  Although there was a lovely Omani lady in the passenger seat of the car being driven by the Omani man clearly trying to impress her, so I'm guessing her heart was probably beating a bit harder as he raced down the highway.

3.  Aberly has started fighting going down for naps and bed, and since she can climb out of her crib, we can't do much to stop her getting out over and over and over and over.  Sigh, last night she finally fell asleep at 9:30 on our bed next to me.  She doesn't really take naps on the weekends any more.  She naps for our nanny of course.  That is good because I'm not sure how Priscilla would get cleaning done otherwise.

4.  Speaking of Priscilla, she can cut hair.  Seriously, she can do anything.  We found this out after telling her how the lady at the salon didn't do a very good job with Abelry's haircut, which I had tried to do some fixing on already.  She smiled shyly and told me how she used to do cosmetology and could cut hair.  I was like, PLEASE fix it!  She did.  And she sews and has beautifully fixed two larger seam tears we've had in our clothes.

5.  I hate to say it, but it's getting warmer.....  "Spring" has arrived and will quickly become summer by May, and that is when it gets really hot.  Sigh.  The winter has been lovely and I will miss it.  Our A/C already has to run more often and we keep the windows shut.  It's only the mid 80's but with some humidity, it feels a bit warmer sometimes.  Sigh again.

6.  We made our first "big" purchase here by buying a dining room table.  We got a great deal from an expat family moving and it's in great shape and perfect for our family.

7.  We also bought our round trip tickets for home and back this summer.  We leave here the 16th of June and arrive on the 18th (1:00 in the morning, so kind like late night on the 17th), and then leave to come back to Oman on August 21st.  We have started mapping out our summer and just know it will be fast and busy, but in a good way.  We look forward to seeing all of our family and friends.  We know it will be here before we know it since it's already March and this school year has flown by!

8.  The school had a fun Omani Day last week and then an International Day celebration on the weekend.  It was a lot of fun getting henna, listening to Omani music, tasting foods from all over, watching some performances from different cultures, and seeing a lot of the school families come together.  Aberly loved it too.

Okay, I would post some pictures before I finish but I need to go get Miss Aberly from her friend's house before I get ready for work.  I will try to get those up tonight or tomorrow.

Much love from the Prices!

No comments:

Post a Comment