Saturday, March 10, 2012

Rocks

I will preface this blog post with the disclaimer that "Yes, I am a bit of a rock nerd".  Well, okay, I don't know a lot about rocks, but I love rocks.  I have always been looking for pretty and neat rocks my whole life.  I remember looking for agates and crystals in the rock pile across the street from our house before it was built up by homes.  I cannot walk a beach without keeping my head down the entire time, unless I'm looking to see which direction to head next, looking for agates.  When we go camping and hang out by the creek, I am looking for beautiful river rocks.  I don't know why it is that way, but it just is. 

I don't have a huge collection.  I actually put many of my river rocks and agates in our yard last year along our back patio so they weren't just sitting in a Tupperware in the garage anymore.  I only bring home the "best" of my finds after going to the beach or camping.  I have practiced walking a beach and keeping my eyes up and forcing myself to enjoy the waves and surrounding landscape instead of looking down.  I've felt "in control" so to speak.

However, moving to Oman re-engaged my rock addition.  There are rocks EVERYWHERE.  Aberly will even exclaim sometimes when we are driving, "Look, so many rocks".  I do not joke. 

Oman is pretty much made out of rocks.  And the rocks here are AMAZINGLY COOL.  If you are into geology, this is a place to see.  I've been simply amazed by the amount of different kinds of rocks I can find here in the 1/2 mile walk to and from the school, the variety of large rocks on the beach, and the amount of crystal formations in the huge rocks and rocks walls lining the coast and hills.  And it's amazing to see the rock patterns in the mountains and earth.  Any of our family who have come to visit can attest to this.  Andrew and Skip can really tell you about it since they have gotten to hike or drive through some of these areas outlying areas.

Anyways, so my rock collecting has started again and I've been using the rocks to help decorate our house.  When we first moved here, we didn't have a lot of decor so the really cool rocks I've found have been tucked into shelves together.  Sadly or neatly, depending on how you look at it, Aberly has picked up my "hobby" and picks up rocks on our walks sometimes to keep.  She has actually found a few cool ones unintentionally. 

Here are some pictures of the rocks I've found (or Colin or Aberly) and some of the pictures of the rock formations in the landscape.  Enjoy, or use it as proof that I am a rock nerd.  :-)  Oh, and if you click on any of the pictures, they should pop up even larger for you in a new tab and let you see some of the images with more detail.

 Crystal formations throughout the rocks.  I am seriously taking a pic and a hammer next time we go to this beach!
 Rocks and rock hills.  Can you see the swirling of the rocks within this third picture?  This is on a large mountain and many of the mountains are like this.
 What it looks like inside many of the rock hills in Oman.  You can see these faces when the hills have been blasted to make way for roads and highways.  The coloring is unbelievable. 

 Aberly found the beautiful green one in the middle.  I think it's jade. 
 My bowl of crystals. 
 Yellow agate found by my brother Andrew, and Colin found the crystal in the middle.
 A large chunk of agate/crystal I recently found walking home.  These are often hard to find because they are so dusty.  I have a trained eye now :-)

 Many of the rocks here are these really dense crystal as you can see on the left.  The one on the right is an example of the mineral rich rocks in Oman.
 Another crystal and an beautiful orange rock found on the walk between our house and the school.





No comments:

Post a Comment