Monday, September 12, 2011

Grocery store adventures

Going to the grocery store here in Oman takes patience, and a good hour or so.  LuLu's is a busy and big place.  Even if it's not busy, it's still big and I have yet to leave the store in less than an hour.  Sometimes, when it's busy, you literally spend 20 minutes of that trip just standing in line to checkout.  Imagine being at Costco when every lane is open but backed up 6 deep with FULL carts.

Luckily today, it was quite and I didn't wait in line that long.  The other benefit of it being quiet was that I could take my time, take pictures, and check out the seafood section better.  I decided to actually buy two whole fish and have them cleaned there while I shopped.  I thought I asked them to fillet them too, but the language barried may have come in because I definitely had to do that at home.  Not a skill I have.  Anyways, the fish were fresh, local, and cheap.  I got two white fish for about $3.  Here is a picture of just half of the fish display. 
While they prepared my fish, I perused the aisles slowly and took pictures of a few things I thought would be fun to share.

You don't realize how many brands you recognize simply by logo until you live abroad.   On the street, in the stores, where ever!  I remember the first week living here, we were driving around and I saw two different ad signs for Subway.  Not one word on the sign, even the name, was in English, but we both new right away it was Subway.  The store is the same way.  I can recognize lots of brands just by the logo.  Many items in the store have one side in Arabic and one side in English so you can confirm the information you want before buying it, any many items have cooking instructions in 5 or more languages.  The couscous I bought the other day had 15, I swear. 

If you are in the mood for beans, you can find more dried beans in Lulu's than you'll ever need.  There are so many beans that I don't even recognize their name.  It's the same with different types of flours.   I wouldn't even know where to start cooking all of them.

Lastly, I just have to show a picture of the amazing roasted chickens you can get at the "deli" in LuLu's.  A whole spicy chicken is about $3.50 and a Tandoori quarter is about $2, and oh my goodness, they are so good.  Sorry Costco, you got nothing on these guys.  They also have fried chicken, Indian Food, Arabic food, and Asian food.  I haven't tried anything else yet, but I'm sure it will happen sometime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment