Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What we don't have...

This title sounds negative, I realize.  I don't intend it that way at all.  Americans are very spoiled and coming here, I see just how much I, we, can live without.  We can live without them, but I admit, some things I do hope to get soon or in the future.

1.  Dishwasher-  I'll admit that this is the hardest one for me.  Doing dishes 3-4 times a day can get old, fast.  It's hot here as well, even with AC (but not in the kitchen itself), so things dry out fast so you can't let dirty dishes sit long unless you want more work chiseling off food.  One side of our sink and the drying rack constantly inhabit some dish despite my best efforts.  But, it does keep me busy and makes me reconsider how many dishes I really need at each meal.

2.  Dryer-  With 80-100 degree weather, and fairly dry air, who needs a dryer to dry clothes?  All our clothes hang on lines inside the laundry room.  We keep the door shut and the windows cracked and our clothes are dry within a few hours, unless it's something like a towel or sheets.  Laundry gets done more often here too, since we sweat and get dusty much easier than back home.

3.  Garage-  Garages aren't very common here, actually.  Car ports are in some homes, but mostly, people park out on the sidewalk (sidewalks are kinda like driveways here).   No garage = no excessive material items stored away.  That is a good thing.

4.  Furnace-  I think that is self explanatory.

5.  Bathtub-  Many homes have bathtubs.  Our apartment, unfortunately, doesn't.  I'm not sure why the school felt that would be a good idea since we have a two year old who gets dirty, and hey, kids like baths, but they didn't consider that, I guess.  Oh well, we are lucky to have a child who likes showering with us and will sit happily at our feet pouring water in and out of cups and having her toy animals "swim" in them.

6.  Storage-  No closets.  None.  We have one spot by the kitchen that is like a coat closet and all our suitcases and such go there, but the rooms have no closets.  Wardrobes are how it's done here.  Our bathrooms also have no built-in cabinets or storage, so all of our toiletries currently reside in the wardrobes.  We hope to find some small, narrow shelf units to put in our bathrooms.

7.  Small appliances-  Not that we can't buy them here, they just weren't provided and so we are slowly getting items as we can afford them.  We were provided with a microwave, but we had to buy a toaster oven, and our list of wants still includes a blender/food processor, mixer, and coffee maker.

8.  Decor-  Our house is pretty sterile right now, as my dear friend Kirstin commented as I gave her a tour of our place via Skype.  Yes it is, and that is because although it's furnished, the school doesn't provide decor.  We didn't bring any of that with us either, so we are starting from scratch.  In reality, it's just stuff to look at and it's not really necessary.  But, we are hoping to find fun, meaningful pieces through out overseas adventures and slowly make our home a place of treasures.

Well, I think that's about it.  Again, I don't share this as a negative, but as an interesting reflection on how much "schtuff" (as Kristina Coulter would say) we tend to have in America, and how many conveniences we have there as well that most of the world lives without.  It's offered us a new perspective and appreciation for our home back in the states and for how we want to have our "home" here abroad.

2 comments:

  1. No coffee maker? I'm out. That's top necessity for me. ;) Glad you guys seem to be enjoying yourselves there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey!! I just sat and read your entire blog from the start. Wow...what an adventure, indeed! I agree with Greta...you need a coffee maker before ANYTHING else. Of course, you know me and my little coffee addiction.
    Shall we send you some Sisters Coffee?

    ReplyDelete