Monday, January 7, 2013

Pregnancy update

I consider myself very lucky because this pregnancy has gone very smoothly.  Aberly's was too, but you never know how each one will go.  

I definitely get more tired and physically drained this time around, and I have have no doubt I have a certain 3-year old to thank for that.  She is busy, busy, busy and I don't get to sit as much as I did before.  During the 1st trimester I found myself napping and practically passing out at 8:00 PM, which did not happen with Aberly.  Really, I wanted to say, only three years difference and my body has changed that much that growing a baby this time around is that much more exhausting???   I did have some nausea, but that was fairly minor and was quickly quelled by a snack or meal. 

Since then, I've mainly found that the pregnancy-related issues I had with Aberly are the same with this pregnancy, except that they have started earlier, instead of showing up during the last trimester. 

1.  Heartburn-  This is by far, my least favorite pregnancy issue.  If you know me, you know that I am an eater, I love great food, and I can eat a lot.  I swear, a few weeks into trimester 2 (and baby was not very big yet and shouldn't be affecting my stomach space much) and I was having to prop myself up with pillows at night and down a Tums before going to bed.  Eating smaller portions for me in like torture!  

2.  Varicose veins-  Aberly left me with the gift of a small varicose vein on the back side of my right knee.  It showed up during the last trimester but didn't cause me any problems, and it pretty much went away after she was born.  I had pretty much forgotten about it until again, a few weeks into trimester 2, it bulged out, and a bit painfully this time, made its presence known.  Then, a few weeks later, it decided to travel and expand itself down towards my calf.  Ugh, gross.  Luckily, if I keep myself well hydrated, it doesn't puff up too much and keeps a low profile.

3.  Achy hip joints-  Poor Colin, this is probably the one he hates the most because it causes me to wake up at night, move around in bed, stretch in bed, get out of bed, and the likes.  I will lay down and within 10 minutes, find my hip joints starting to go into a dull ache; never terrible, but just enough that you can't sleep and are annoyed by it.  So I have to do my best to stretch in different positions to get the muscles to relax and stop aching, which, with an increasing belly size, is getting a bit harder to do.  And usually, I wake up a few times at night with the aches and have to stretch in the middle of the night.  Sorry, dear.

4.  Visiting the bathroom every two hours-  This didn't effect me much during the day initially, but again, I hit the 2nd trimester and was getting up all the time.  Now, I definitely have to go much more frequently during the day as well, which was not ideal in India (bathrooms are not plentiful and they are not clean). 

5.  Emotions!-  I have been a crying mess a few times...

I may complain here a bit about my symptoms, but really, I know I have it very easy compared to many women.

Okay, beyond the symptoms, Baby girl is VERY busy each day (I've felt her since week 14!) so I am fairly certain that she is going to wear us out from Day 1, which, with an extremely busy 3 year old on hand already, scares the crap out of me.   I just passed the 27 week mark so I know the end will be here before we know it.  Your 2nd pregnancy definitely goes by much faster!   Baby Girl is due around the 7th of April.  According to my computer "Count Down" app, that is 89 days away...

To wrap up this post, I will share a picture of my pregnancy health card that I have here in Oman.  The hospitals all use them to put your medical/pregnancy history in, and document your current pregnancy and appointments.  I was instructed to fill out the personal information part, which requests quite a bit of information you would not see on a form in the USA. 
"I hate to sound like I'm bragging by picking Advanced, but since college isn't a choice..."
"Landmark... the the hill across from The American School?  Does that work?" 
"Sheihk... Mike Schwartz, leader of the Schwartz tribe?  Although he isn't Muslim... yes, I guess that would matter, wouldn't it?"
"Really, 'not related' is the last choice???" or "Related by the blood of Christ."

Okay, Baby Girl is kicking away, telling me it's time to stop joking and get serious.  These are serious questions and considerations here!

Have a great week!




No comments:

Post a Comment