Sunday, April 14, 2013

Emalyn Hope Price arrives

Born on April 10th, 9:16 PM (Oman time), April 10th 10:16 AM (PST).  So either side of the world, she was born on April 10th!

7 lbs, 7 ounces (not sure on length)

Emalyn came charging into this world in just two hours.  After a slow "build up" for a few days, I found out I was already 4 cm dilated when I went in for a check-in a few days past my due date.  My doctor asked it I wanted her to break my water and I said, "well, let me go home and wait for my husband to get off work!" so she suggested I just come back that evening.

At 6:00, we got checked in to the hospital and I was hooked up to a CTG machine for them to monitor Emalyn's heartbeat to make sure she was stable and unstressed before breaking my water.  I was having some minor contractions at that point, but nothing serious.  At 7:15, they broke my water and by 7:30, the real contractions started and intensified pretty quickly.  They moved me to the delivery room and in there, things got painful fast.

At that point, despite the intense contractions, I was staying at 6cm and hadn't dilated further.  With the pain I was in and expecting that I wouldn't dilate as quickly as hoped, I opted for an epidural.  The anesthesiologist took too long to get there (20 min?) and when she arrived, the contractions had done their job and I was at 8cm, which meant no epidural for me.  I was given the laughing gas mask to use continuously to reduce my pain a bit and ride it out till delivery.  Luckily, that only lasted a few more contractions (5?) and I pushed her into this world with the last two.  Even I couldn't believe when she came out so fast with so little pushing.  

Colin and I couldn't believe how much Emalyn looked like Aberly as a newborn.  It was like dejavu!  Emalyn quickly began to cry and didn't have any problems.  Once back in our room, she took to nursing immediately.  Since birth, she has been a very "easy" baby; sleeping, eating, pooping, and more sleeping.  She loves to cuddle and sleep on us.  Unless hungry or mad about being changed, she rarely cries or puts up a major fuss.  She is such an angel and we feel so lucky.  Aberly is quite the doting big sister and has been enjoying her new sister so far.

Here are a few great snaps of her first few days in the world with us.







1 comment: