Monday, April 22, 2013

Emalyn update- Life for us

It's almost been two weeks and things are going really well.  Emalyn is such a low-key baby that sometimes it doesn't feel much like our life has changed that much.  It also might be that I'm not a stressed basket case this time around now knowing what to do with a baby, AND she is a fantastic nurser, something that Aberly struggled with.  Emalyn is the typical "eat, sleep, poop" newborn that they talk about so we feel very blessed. 

At almost two weeks now, she has been having a bit more awake time and looks up at us and around the room with some deep baby blues that we hope will stay that way.  Our nights are still filled with many awake times between feedings and at least one diaper change, but we are feeling really good.  I can't wait for her first check up in a few days to see how she's doing and how much weight she has gained.  With all her eating, we are sure she's gone up in weight already.  And she definitely looks a bit more plump! 

My parents were here from the 10th till last night and they cherished the time with both their granddaughters.  I think Emalyn pretty much lived in one of their arms most days and they both took turns playing with Aberly.  Since the weather is pretty darn warm (90-100 daily), we spent a lot of time inside but that was okay.  We tried to get out for at least one little adventure each day (beach, park, souk) and had a few birthday parties to attend as well.  Emalyn was in tow for each one starting at day 3 (the beach) and did great.  She mostly just slept through everything, only waking briefly to eat.  We were very blessed by my parents visit (they are now in Istanbul for 4 days before returning home) and we look forward to seeing them again this summer.  Aberly is very excited to play at their house and I know they will be thrilled to see how much Emalyn changes in a few months.  Nancy, Colin's mom, will be visiting us and her new grandbaby in just a few weeks, so Aberly is jazzed for that, of course!


Aberly is doing very well as a big sister and besides adjusting to sharing mom and dad time with Emalyn, she really seems "unfazed" by having a new baby around.  She lets us know when she wants a turn holding Emalyn and wants to know what she's up to.  She is a very good helper when I ask her to throw away a dirty diaper, or get me something, when I need it.  I know she will be excited to help feed and play with Emalyn when the time comes.  Overall, Aberly is a very proud big sister and loves to show off Emalyn to anyone. 


As for me, I'm doing well and have recovered from the delivery.  I have no doubt the doctor would say I'm over-doing it, but it's hard when you are a busy-body like me AND have a 3 1/2 year old.  Nonetheless, I'm trying to make myself relax a bit.  I am on maternity leave till the end of May and this is my first "normal" day home now that my parents are gone.  Eunice, our nanny, is around and continues to do all the cleaning, as well as help care for Aberly.  They are currently outside riding bikes.  It's been a bit of a struggle today getting Aberly to balance time with me and Eunice (she wants me way more), but she will adjust soon.  Right now they are outside riding bikes while Mommy has her "quiet work time". 

And for Colin, he gets to be the working man (only 5 days of paternity leave here) and dedicated daddy at home.  Since I nurse, his job is diaper duty if she poops at night.  He adores his new angel and will actually get some more turns now holding her with my parents gone!  :-)   He constantly hears how Emalyn has his hair style (he got that when Aberly was a newborn too) and couldn't be prouder.  Besides being a great daddy to Emalyn, he is Aberly's favorite play partner and lets his imagination wheels spin when they play together in her room.  My girls are so luck to have him!

All our love!














2 comments:

  1. Hooray for easy second babies!!! So happy for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! She has her moments now, but overall, still pretty easy!

    ReplyDelete