Monday, August 29, 2011

Bulleted update

It's been a long day for some reason and I'm getting tired, but I wanted to give a few little updates!

-  Got a chance to get out to the mall yesterday.  It's nice, and I scored a pair of Kenneth Cole gladiator-style sandals for 6 Rials (like, $15!).  I was super excited.   We also stopped in the Carrefour, which is the European equivalent to Wal-Mart.  It definitely is like a Wal-Mart (size/price/quality wise), just without white trash.

-  We got our residence cards and licenses back from the school!  Here we are looking terrible.  That apparently is a universal truth.  Your look bad in any country!
-  We discovered our rental car's battery was dead this morning.  Blessing is disquise because they came and gave us a different car to use for the next two weeks, or until we get a car, whichever comes first.  It's a Hyundai Accent and even though it's still small, it's an upgrade for sure!

-  Aberly is clearly affected, and understands, the heat here.  She wanted to go play at the park today (the school playground) and was done in 10 minutes.  I watched her walk over to the stroller, "pack" up our stuff, and say to me "home".  Sometimes if I ask her if she wants to go play outside, she says no. 

-  Enjoyed a lovely evening with some fellow teachers at the Rauk's home last night.  BBQ, salads, drinks, and dessert. 

-  We've decided that our guest shower head has erectile dysfunction.  It starts up and in normal position, but slowly sinks down and ultimately points towards the wall after a few minutes.  The ball/socket joint of the shower head holder needs to be replaced or re-tightened with teflon tape.  We have a maintenance ticket in.

-  I've been working up a serious sweat and BO outside getting my plants potted in nice pots for our patio.  It doesn't matter when you work during the day, it's hot and you get sweaty.

-  Trying to maintain a clean floor here is near impossible.  All tile floors don't hide anything, especially white ones.  I have to sweep every other day and mop a few times a week if I want them to stay looking clean.  It's amazing to discover how much hair we lose each day too.  I say it's mostly Colin's since he has more body hair.  Ha ha ha.

- Aberly is Elmo OBSESSED.  She loves watching Elmo's World on YouTube and looking at any of her books with Elmo in them.  Baby Einstein is on the way out.

-  We bought a VPN server and can now use Skype and watch TV shows on US websites like Hulu.  It's $70 a year but well worth it.

-  Colin is off hiking today/tomorrow on the highest peak in Oman.  He was super excited to do this trip and I can't wait to see pictures of their trip.  I'm just hoping he doesn't die of heat exhaustion!  Good thing he is with two very experience hikers from the school who know this region well.

-  I just discovered what Aberly was doing this afternoon while I was washing dishes.  Taking pictures of herself.  I went to upload what I thought would just be a few pictures.  Oh, there are about 10 of her upclose and two short videos.   

-  Here are the two of the pictures I took.  She decided my headband worked well as glasses, I guess.  I thought she was channeling Geordi from Star Trek.





1 comment:

  1. lol @ your showerhead. Thanks for the updates! Kari and I will definitely be tuning in.

    ReplyDelete