Saturday, August 27, 2011

Happiness in green! And a driving story.

Gardening is my hobby, and living in Oman makes that hobby a little harder to pursue.  Colin makes sure to remind me that brewing in Oman is very hard to pursue.  Anyways, I decided today that I couldn't take no-green and no-flowers at my house anymore. 

Since I needed a few things at the store anyways, I headed to Sultan Center to pick up my wares and got three plastic pots and some potting soil.  Outside the store on the corner, a man has a little nursery set up in the shade with all kinds of plants.  And let me tell you, they were cheap!  2.5 Rials for my three plants (gallon size pots, if you are a gardener) which comes out to $6.50.  You pay that much for one gallon plant in Bend!  Needless to say, I'm thrilled and now I know my hobby won't break our bank so I can add many more flowers and plants inside and out.  We are getting a little patio set from the school in the next few days to put on the side of our building so I'm going to make that area beautiful!  I need to do a lot of sweeping too in order to get it ready.

It may seem silly to get so excited about three pots and three plants but when you are away from home and the familiar, getting a small piece of it back is somewhat comforting. 

Remember my last post about driving/roads being confusing here?  Well today, our wrong driving decisions made that all the worse.  It started when I went to the store to get my plants.  On the way home, I missed the first exit I needed to take to get me turned around on the highway to go home.  So I drove another 5 minutes to the next one.  It was super busy so it took me 5 minutes to get through it.  Phew, I thought, silly mistake and now I'll be home in 10 minutes.  Nope.  I spaced taking an exit I needed and ended up on another highway where I couldn't take an exit and get back on track.  Normally not a huge deal because I can get home that way too (about 10 extra), however, it was bumper-to-bumper this afternoon, so my trip home that should've taken 10 minutes took 45.  Sigh. 

At least it wasn't 100 degrees outside where the heat was actually combating the effectivness of my AC, and at least I wasn't being forced to listen to cheesy British DJ's playing American music on the radio since the rest of the stations are in Arabic.  Oh wait, yes it was and yes I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment