Tuesday, October 4, 2011

New paint!


Our house has been painted!  All the old colors are gone and the walls are clean!  The guys (two Indian men who spoke practically no English so that made things interesting) were here the last two days working hard.  The school pays for all the labor and cost of white paint, so any color we chose we pay the difference (about 20 rials for our place which is about $50 US).  

It looks so much better.  

The previous colors someone chose for our apartment, if you've seen some photos from earlier posts, were yellow (living/dining/hallway), violet purple (Abery's room), and this funky light green (master).  We've changed it to teal/gray blue (living/dining) and white (hallway/master).  Aberly's room is staying the same but with a fresh coat.  It was the one good color in the house.  

Our master bedroom looks so much brighter and cleaner.  I usually find white boring but I wanted to have a clean slate to work with when it came to decorating.  We haven't found a bedspread yet and I don't want to be limited in our choices because it doesn't match the walls.  We are hoping to use color in our decor to spice up our room.  You can see in the picture that our room is bare bones right now!  


I never thought I'd like blue for my main house color.  At home, we painted our guest room/office a gray-blue, but that was Colin's space and it suited him.  I'll admit, the blue we picked works really well.  Our space looks bright but cozy.  I think the blue is a good "Middle East home by the ocean" color.  We aren't literally by the ocean but we're in a city by the ocean.  Sorry about the window glare but the sun comes in that way and our curtains are sheer white.



Our next step is to get carpet put down in the living room and bedrooms.  The school also pays for that as well.  I think we'll have a nice beige with flecking in it (to help mask dirt) put down.  It will make the floors so much nicer for Aberly to play on and help reduce my need for sweeping and mopping!  Seriously, I sweep every day and mop a couple days a week.  

And speaking of mopping.  I decided to mop while the photos were loading a few minutes ago.  I decided that it would be a GOOD idea to use a mop head from yesterday that I used to clean up the wet floors in the guest bathroom left behind by the workers.  Hey, the mop head was barely dirty looking at all.  Well, it wasn't a good idea.  Our house smells a bit like pee now despite using floor cleaner.  I'm sure they did not urinate on my bathroom floor, but that's kinda the smell effect I'm getting.  Gross.  Okay, off to re-mop with a clean mop head with water with more cleaner in it....

No comments:

Post a Comment