Friday, October 7, 2011

Worshipping in the Middle East

One of the top questions we got before moving to Oman was whether we could go to church here in the Middle East.  The answer was yes, although we didn't know much about it at all. 

Since moving here, we discovered that there is the PCO "campus" which is a collection of small buildings right next to the school.  It stands for Protestant Church in Oman, and you can look at their website at www.churchinoman.com

The Christian church here is so different from home.  Not in value and belief, but in feeling and experience.  White people are the minority here.  When you walk into Friday morning service (Friday is holy day here), you see a sea of black hair and primarily dark skin.  Indians, Africans, and Asians make up the majority of the congregation.  Congregants come in their traditional clothes and Sunday best.  How awesome it is to worship in a multicultural setting.  I realized that sometimes I think of Christianity as an American religion.  Being surrounded by all these people reminds me that Jesus is Lord in every country. 

I love singing the most at church.  I always have.  I would say that singing is my "worship language" at church.  I love worshiping with this congregation that is wholeheartedly worshiping too.   When we sing and worship, people WORSHIP.  They don't stand and mumble the songs.  The praise, they move, they lift their hands, they worship God.  Sometimes, banners come out and are waved in the aisles.  Today we had a Korean dance group performing to two of the songs.  Not to say this doesn't happen in the states, but most often, Americans sit through the experience of church instead of being a part of the experience with Christ. 

I was talking to another teacher at the school after church and she made the best comment.  She said, "Isn't it like being in heaven?  This is what it will be like when we are there.  All cultures together worshiping God."

I'll admit, I don't get a lot out of the preaching here (there are good things said but it's more generic and I miss Syd's preaching back home).  I don't like "passing the peace".  I wish there was a toddlers Sunday school for Aberly. 

But those things don't matter that much to me in the end.  I get to be a part of a people who are there because they love Jesus.  They connect with Jesus during church.  They shed tears, they dance and sway, they pray honestly and intensely, they love on each other, and they have true joy.  They are there worshiping with their entirety because being able to worship freely is a gift, and they cherish that gift. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kelsey,

    Awesome post! I read it to our church on Sunday when I preached on Worship. Thanks for sharing your heart.

    Hope all is going swimmingly.
    Mark <><

    ReplyDelete